1 Dec 2020
WEDC Fifth Annual Meeting
The Wall Economic Development Corporation held their Fifth Annual Meeting on Wednesday, November 18, 2020. Members of the current – Board of Directors introduced themselves: Mary Williams, Marty Huether, Carolynn Anderson, Josh Geigle, Kallie Kjerstad, Cindy Hauk, Steven Edoff , and High school board representatives Brycen Cheney and Sierra Hilgenkamp.
Mary Williams reported about the history of WEDC and highlighted events started by former director Cheyenne McGriff . She gave an update on the progress of the Wall Industrial Park.
Executive Director Liliya Stone talked about the role of Economic Development in the community and highlighted projects WEDC executed in the last few years:
- Administered the City of Wall Disaster Bridge Grant that provided $52,006.91 to 16 businesses in Wall to help with utility expenses.
- Created New Worker Relocation Program to help businesses attract workforce. This program offers $750 in moving expenses to individuals who decide to move and work in Wall.
- Brought the Marketing Hometown America program to Wall that has a long-lasting, positive influence on the community. Such as the Wheelin’ to Wall event, under the leadership of Charon Geigle.
- Assisted new businesses that brought significant impact to our community: Wall Meat Processing Plant and Legacy Child Development Center.
- Worked with the Wall City Council to create opportunities for future growth and development: designation of Industrial Park and property tax discretionary formula that provide a tax break for five year for any new Industrial or commercial structure.
- Taken steps toward housing development in Wall:
- Housing study to better understand housing issues in Wall.
- Two housing incentives created: property tax rebate and demolition agreement.
- Purchased and prepared lot for three new governors homes.
- Other successful projects:
- Archery Range and Wall Community Garden
- Youth projects (replacement of playground equipment, establishment of the ice rink and small skateboard park)
- Mailbox project for graduating seniors
- Walking Path from Kelly Addition to the school
- Introduction to new events (International Festival, Parade of Lights and Sky View Drive-In movie theater)
- Businesses recognized were:
- Little Outpost for business expansion
- Subway, Wall Building Center, Badlands Housing and Hill Crest for business improvements
Stone shared Economic Development Goals for 2021 that includes South Dakota Light Industrial Park Certification of Industrial Park, establishment of leadership classes in Wall and launch of the new WEDC website.
High School youth were recognized for their service on the WEDC Board of Directors: Kyla Sawvel, Mercede Hess, Andrew Law, Brycen Cheney and Sierra Hilgenkamp.
Guest speaker, Tom Johnson, President and CEO of Elevate-Rapid City, shared the vision and mission of that public/private partnership and told stories that were relevant to economic development based on his experiences working in Wyoming and Colorado.
Wall Economic Development award recipients were:
- Business Retention and Expansion or Creation Award: Joe Leach
- Economic Driver: Wall Drug
- Outstanding Employer: C9 Enterprise
- Friend of Economic Development Award: Marty Huether.
The WEDC officers elected for 2021 were:
- Mary Williams, President
- Marty Huether Vice President; and
- Carolynn Anderson as Secretary/Treasurer.
- Kalie Kjerstad was re -elected to a three-year term to the board.
The next regular WEDC Board of Directors meeting will be held at 6 pm on Wednesday, January 27th at the Community Center. Meeting was adjourned at 8 pm.
Wall Economic Development Corporation has been inviting local businesses and individuals to become investor/member of WEDC.
Last year Economic Development executed several projects, including:
- Establishment of the Wall Industrial Park
- Launch of the Skyview Movie Theater
- Completion of the Governor’s Housing project
This year, we hope to accomplish even more, including certifying the Industrial Park and initiating Leadership classes. However, we can’t do it without the contribution and support of members!
We hope you can join our organization, your presence is important to us to help our community to grow.
If you are interested to become a WEDC member, please contact Liliya Stone at 605-279-2658 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Wall Angel Tree
The Wall Angel Tree Program is a non-profit organization. The goal is to provide Christmas gifts for children in our community that might not otherwise have gifts on Christmas. Ornaments will be hung on a tree at First Interstate Bank starting today, November 30, 2020 (the tree will be in the front entrance lobby and will be accessible M-F from 8 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.). If you are interested in giving please choose an ornament from the tree, fulfill the child’s wish, then return the unwrapped gifts to either the First Interstate Bank or to Kelli Sundall at the Wall School by Thursday, December 17, 2020. The committee will then prepare and wrap the gifts and fill a special stocking for the child. A donation box will also be available at First Interstate Bank if you would prefer to make a monetary donation.
Thank you to our members for believing in our organization and supporting us.
Sincerely, Liliya Stone
Executive Director of WEDC